30 Novembre 2016
Summer has come and gone and winter is fast approaching. Leaves are falling, a sign that it’s time to start looking at winterizing your vehicle. By picking up a few things at your auto center now will save you a lot of frustration later.
* Emergency kit -- It’s always a good idea to keep an emergency kit in the vehicle if for some reason you get stuck out in the cold. Pack extra bottles of oil, coolant, and washer fluid. Also include a scraper and some flares. These items can easily be found at your local auto shop. If you’re stranded and your heater doesn’t work, you’ll want to have some extra gloves, boots, coats and blankets, water, and a cell phone.
* Check the Battery -- Go by your auto center and have them check your car battery. By doing this in the fall you will find out before winter hits in full force. There could also be specials on batteries this time of year. Also make sure there isn’t any corrosion on the terminals. Brush a little baking soda and water on them with a toothbrush and it will come right off.
* Inspect the 4-wheel drive components -- Ask your auto shop to make sure your 4-wheel drive is operating efficiently. Not too many people use it year-round so checking it before you need it is wise to make sure you have good traction on snow and ice.
* Check the windshield wipers. They can become dry and cracked. Replace them if necessary and make sure you have plenty of washer fluid. Visibility is a must during the winter and you don’t want to find out they don’t work when you really need them.
* Check hoses and belts. They can also get dry and cracked during the heat of the summer. Replace anything that looks suspicious so you won’t be stranded on the side of the road in the cold.
Looking for a full-service auto center for an inspection of your vehicle? Contact our ASE Certified technicians at Kestner Automotive today for more information and to schedule an appointment. Our auto shop proudly serves residents in Columbia, SC, and the surrounding area.